There are over 750 million users on LinkedIn. According to the Pew Research Center, 51% of college graduates in the U.S. use LinkedIn to network. The platform is an incredible resource, especially when it comes to ad marketing. While platforms like Instagram, Facebook and Twitter should also be utilized, you don’t want to forget the power of LinkedIn.
Over 40 million people use LinkedIn to job hunt every week, and over 57 million companies are listed on the site. Although the ads can be pricey, they are well worth the pay off. However, you should know what your end goals and intentions are. LinkedIn caters to an audience that’s different than most social media platforms. People visit the site to further their professional aspirations rather than posting personal photos or sharing memes, for example.
It’s also a good idea to know what you can afford. For lead generation, you might want to organize social selling templates and automate the process to decrease your expenses. If you have more cash to spend, on the other hand, you’ll want to take advantage of LinkedIn’s targeting tools.
If you are interested in LinkedIn ads but aren’t sure where to start, this quick and easy guide should help you on your marketing journey.
Where to Begin
You may be asking yourself, where do I start? It is always good to know what your ad options are and how to supervise your expenses. You can choose how much you want to spend by setting budgets and setting bids. Budgets refers to the amount you want to spend each day, and bids refers to the amount you want to spend on each individual click (or 1,000 impressions).
From there, you can bid in 3 ways:
- Pay per click (PPC). Decide how much you want to spend for every click.
- Pay per spend (PCS). Decide how much you want to spend for each effectively distributed Message ad.
- Pay per 1,000 impressions (CPM). When we say “impressions,” we mean whenever your ad is exposed to viewers. You can decide how much you want to spend each time your ad is on display.
Now, LinkedIn offers sponsored content, sponsored messaging, video ads, text ads, dynamic ads and carousel ads. Let’s take a closer look at each.
Sponsored content ad marketing on LinkedIn is displayed on the site’s main feed. These posts are uplifted and promoted to facilitate leads. They can contain videos, images, or carousel ads. For sponsored content, focus on these ad specs:
- Specific, succinct, and captivating copy that is 70 characters or less
- Strong headlines under 150 characters
- 1200x627px image size, 400px width maximum
- Max weight of 100MB
- A call-to-action
Sponsored messages are sent right to a user’s inbox. This can be a great way to increase your brand’s awareness and boost leads, but users can choose not to receive sponsored messaging ads. There are two basic types of sponsored messaging:
- Message ads read like an e-mail, and the conversation should be geared towards the individual you’re speaking to.
- Connection requests are similar to an invitation. They can increase interest, but the opposite party must accept.
Everyone loves videos. They’re engaging, fun and entertaining to watch. Furthermore, as a marketer you can use them to spread awareness, make an impression, and deliver important information about your brand. Ideally, this increases lead generation, conversions, and views. By the end, you should have plenty of applicants headed your way! There are a few guidelines your video should follow:
- MP4 video format only
- Videos up to 30 minutes in length
- Frame rate that is 30FPS or less
- 360-1920px height, 640-1920px width
- 778-0.5652 Aspect ratio
You can choose to include up to 600 characters for your video’s introduction. In addition, you can select a name for your video that is up to 255 characters.
Text ads are small blocks of text that appear at the top (or right side) of a LinkedIn feed. Because these are minimalistic and straightforward, they’re usually chosen as an add-on rather than a main ad campaign tool. However, they can still enhance your brand awareness. By using multiple ad types, you will be able to reach a wider audience. Again, this can be costly, but you must decide if it’s worth the results. It all depends on your business needs.
- Include a description with a max of 75 characters
- Choose a headline with a max of 25 characters
- Opt for an image (100×100) to add a touch of personality
Dynamic ads are incredibly unique in terms of ad marketing. These attach to someone’s profile, name, and career type to guide them towards your company. Overall, this helps increase followers, receive more applicants, and facilitate leads. However, keep in mind that this option is only available for desktop computers and laptops.
- Include a description with a length of 70 characters or less
- Select a headline with a length of 50 characters or less
- Include your company name or abbreviate so it is 25 characters or less
- Include an image (100×100) or logo
- Consider a Call to Action
- Include links to your job listings tab or “Life” tab
Carousel ads are a series of images and text that can be used to illustrate your company’s products, services, and goals. Like other LinkedIn ads, these have a major influence on brand awareness and lead generation. To boost your conversions, you can display a product or provide specific information about your company’s individual persona. Some ad specs you should be aware of moving forward include:
- 2-10 cards for carousels
- Text should be 150 characters or less
- For images, the sizing needs to be 1080x1080px (1:1 aspect ratio)
- Each card cannot exceed 10MB
These LinkedIn ad basics should provide you with the head start you require. However, an expert digital media company can offer you more detailed information and expertise.
We Are Here to Help Grow Your Business Online and Through SEO
Working with a professional digital marketing company is the best way to make the most of your website and all that Facebook Pixel, LinkedIn ads, Google Analytics and other digital advertising platforms have to offer. To learn more about the best digital marketing strategies for your company and reach a bigger audience than ever before, work with Gauge Digital Media. For a quote or to schedule a call, contact us at (443) 201-7709.